Preparation Instructions for Colonoscopy with Magnesium Citrate
Prescription Medications: You may continue taking your normal medications/supplements (except blood thinners) until midnight the night before your procedure. You will be home in time to take your morning meds on the day of your procedure. You may take pain meds or other necessary meds with a sip of water at least two (2) hours before your procedure time.
Diabetics: Test your blood sugar before you come in and bring the reading with you. For questions about your medications/insulin dosages, please contact the doctor who is monitoring your diabetes.
You should NOT plan on working, or driving, or watching small children, the entire day of your procedure, due to the sedation.
You must have someone to take you home after your procedure.
You will need:
- Three (3) bottles of 10 ounce Magnesium Citrate - not cherry (refrigerated).
- Four (4) Dulcolax (Bisacodyl 5mg) tablets.
- Baby wipes, Desitin, or other diaper cream (optional).
One week before your colonoscopy:
Do not take any blood thinners such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen or any NSAIDS (many arthritis medications are NSAIDS).
Three (3) days before your colonoscopy:
- Discontinue any fiber supplements (Metamucil, Citrucel, Fibercon, etc).
- DO NOT take any iron supplements, including vitamins with iron in them.
Two (2) days before your colonoscopy:
Begin a low residue diet. It is best to eat lightly for two (2) days before your exam, as it makes the cleanout of your bowel easier and more effective.
The day before your colonoscopy:
NO SOLID FOOD (including milk or dairy products)
- Clear liquids only all day (see list below).
- Avoid anything red except cranberry juice.
- Drink as much as you can, as clear liquids help with the cleanout.
- You will need to use the facilities frequently once you start taking the prep so be near a bathroom.
Noon the day before your colonoscopy:
- Take four (4) Dulcolax tablets with clear liquids.
6:00 PM the day before the procedure:
- Drink 15 ounces (1 ½ bottles) of the Magnesium Citrate all at once.
- Using a straw can help.
- Drink at least 32 ounces clear liquids over the next several hours. (Not red).
12:00 AM the morning of the procedure:
- Drink the remaining 15 ounces (1 ½ bottles) Magnesium Citrate with a glass of clear liquid.
- Drink at least two (2) more glasses of clear liquids before 2 AM.
You may have clear liquids up until 2 AM the morning of the procedure.
Clear liquids include:
- Sports drinks like Gatorade (no red)
- Clear fruit juice (apple, white grape, or cranberry)
- Popsicles (no sherbet or fruit bars)
- Soft drinks (no red, yes you can have colas)
- Clear broth or bouillon
- Jello (no red)
- Kool Aid or Crystal Light
- Coffee or tea (no milk or creamer)
- Hard candies (no red)
Come on the west side of the hospital, called Outpatient Surgery
Bring your insurance card and photo ID
750 West 800 North, Orem, Utah 84057