Preparation Instructions for Colonoscopy with GoLytely
Do these things 7 days before the procedure:
- Arrange a ride: you will be given medicine that makes you relax and be sleepy, so you cannot drive a car or take a bus home. If you arrive without an escort, your procedure may need to be rescheduled.
- Stop taking iron, Vitamin E, ginko, ginger, aspirin and garlic
- If you are taking Coumadin medicine or if you are diabetic call your doctor or nurse for special instructions.
Do these things 3 days before the procedure:
- Confirm your ride.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, call your doctor or nurse.
- Review the diet you need to follow for the next 2 days. Plan your meals according to this diet.
Do these things 2 days before the procedure:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water throughout the day.
- Stop taking all anti-inflammatory medicines. These include: Nuprin, Bufferin, Anacin, Advil, Motrin, Indocin, Voltran, Aleve, Ecotrin, Relafen, Alka Seltzer, Naprosyn, Voltaren (Tylenol is okay to take).
- Stop eating seeds, popcorn, nuts and whole grains.
- Do not eat any solid food after midnight.
Do these things 1 day before the procedure:
- Start a strict, clear liquid diet. If you put a liquid in a clear glass, and you can see through it, it is probably OK to drink. A clear liquid diet can include:
- Apple, white grape, and cranberry juices
- Beef or chicken broths that are clear
- Tea and coffee without milk
- Soda pop, Gatorade, Kool-Aid
- Jell-O flavors (any color except red)
- Avoid juices with pulp, milk, cream and solid food.
- To use GoLytely:
- Fill the plastic container containing the laxative powder (GoLytely) with water.
- Shake well until the powder is dissolved.
- Put the container in the refrigerator.
- Start drinking GoLytely at 6:00 PM.
- Drink one full glass every 15 minutes until it is gone.
- Try to drink one full glass at a time instead of sipping.
- Continue to drink clear liquids throughout the day but do not eat any solid food.
- The laxative (GoLytely) liquid will cause you to have many bowel movements. This is needed so you have a clean colon for the procedure.
- If you have problems completing this preparation, call your doctor or nurse.
Come on the west side of the hospital, called Outpatient Surgery
Bring your insurance card and photo ID
750 West 800 North, Orem, Utah 84057