July 31, 2017
Orem, UT — Timpanogos Regional Hospital now provides a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) as part of the hospital’s comprehensive children’s services. The PICU cares for children with life-threatening illnesses or who are recovering after major surgery—right here in Utah County.
The Timpanogos Regional Hospital PICU has 24 hour a day coverage from highly trained staff, including a pediatric intensivist. Along with medical school and pediatric residency training, a pediatric intensive has also completed an additional three-year fellowship training program, qualifying them to care for the sickest children. The intensivist is skilled in procedures such as child sedation, chest tube placement and invasive catheters placement.
“The pediatric care team at Timpanogos Regional Hospital offers the highest level of care facility for children in Utah County,” said Dr. Dustin Monroe, Director of the PICU. “While a pediatric intensivist directs the care for patients in the PICU, it takes an army of child-specialists to provide comprehensive care for sick children. Families can expect a team approach to their child’s care, including direct support from their pediatrician and help from a child-life specialist to ensure that each child has the least stressful experience possible. Access to this team of experts mean in most cases children can stay close to home without being transferred to another facility outside of Utah County.”
If a child is sick, they are first seen at the hospital’s pediatric-friendly emergency room. If further intensive care is needed, they will be admitted directly to the PICU or the Timpanogos Regional Hospital pediatric unit. There the care team works together with the child’s pediatrician to provide personalized care throughout the child’s stay.
“Having a PICU and comprehensive pediatric services right here in Orem is great for our community,” said Kimball Anderson, CEO of Timpanogos Regional Hospital. “In most cases, children in Utah County can get the expert care they need without traveling long distances. This means families who have other responsibilities and children to care for can more easily be by their sick child’s side as they recover.”
Some of the comprehensive pediatric care offered by Timpanogos Regional Hospital includes:
- 24/7 pediatric critical care physician coverage
- Pediatric sedation for procedures and imaging, including x-ray, CT and MRI scans
- Advanced monitoring and life support capability
- Pediatric-trained nurses and respiratory therapists
- Direct access to pediatric specialists, including: ENT, cardiology, orthopedic and radiology
- Pediatric emergency care, including on-site RSV suction clinic
- Pediatric surgery, lab and imaging services
- Pediatric physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Child-life specialist, pediatric dietitian and social workers
- Family-friendly healing environment, including accommodations for parents who never leave their child’s side
To learn more about Timpanogos Regional Hospital Children’s Services, visit TimpHospital.com/Kids